Last night’s mission to extract the tools from the ranch failed. I didn’t even make it in 200 feet. I spent over 10 hours driving in nasty and varying winter conditions, passed more than a few horrible looking crashes, and plenty more cars stranded along the road, and in the end, I failed to get my tools. Judging from the weather report, the current snow load and current moisture content of the ground, the ranch will not be accessible by my vehicle for at least another couple months. This of course means that at this exact moment I am paying rent on an empty shop, and do not have any of the tools needed to produce skein winders.
So, now I have a few possible options for Plan B:
- Pay someone with a Unimog or Pinzgauer to drive into the ranch and get my tools.
- Buy a Unimog, Pinzgauer or Haflinger
- Buy tank tracks for the Element
- Buy all new tools
- Buy used tools from a pawnshop
- Borrow tools and shop space from a neighbor until I can get my tools
- Borrow tools to build the CNC router, which will then do all the work and I won’t need my tools
- Try again with the Element in the mud instead of the snow
I am open to any other solutions anyone may have. Once a solution is found, winder production will resume on a fairly short lead time.